Saturday, March 12, 2011

WANNA BE IN COMICS HUH -DO THE WORK!

SO YOU WANNA BE IN COMICS..we all grew up on Spiderman,The Hulk,X-Men the list goes on then as teens and adults with the talent to draw we want to become apart of that childhood dream and draw are favorite marvel or dc characters  and see your name in the book as the artist which is cool right.i started  drawing since dam a kid from the 1st grade through high school  as a kid i drew pictures for other kids in the class room like transformer's,ninja turtles,superman and spiderman to the point i would get in a world of trouble not doing my classwork i know not good don't trip i pass haha or my mom would
have lost it.. fast forward to my adult hood as life became real and i head to get a 9 to 5 job drawing when i felt like it.. kicking it with the guys etc didn't really have a huge interest in drawing comics even thou i brought them here and there and i knew i could draw my friends told me i was good my mom told me and that's who really saw my work family members and friends now remind you i didn't have a clue how to show my work or how to present my  portfolio didn't no sequential pages what they wanted to see instead of pinups i didn't no u needed business cards haha so my first time at a con i head loose original pages and let me tell u i got rip apart from "u need a portfolio" to "sorry no pin ups" to "need more work on your anatomy"  i was Shot Down! and i was like "but my friends told me i was good " so i got the cold hard truth i was not good wanna know what i did?  went home practice,practice even brought how to books so basically you can say i self taught myself to become better and stayed in the dam house no kicking it no nothing my mind was on my art...next con season Chicago comic 1996   this time i came better prepared but didn't show the big 2 instead i hit up the small publishers cause i knew i needed publish work that's when i bump into Michael McClain and Donald McKay
they saw i head talent and they head a school that was at Kennedy king collage which is one the best colleges here in Chicago. Mr McClain took me as his student due to Donald head a lot of students that didn't really have the talent but McClain o boi i hated him hahaha really no lie he drove me dam nuts on  panel to panel by doing it the right way  he was truthful and very strict if it suck he would flat out tell me the more he push me the more i wanted to prove to him... i was going home completing the assignments he gave me ..eventually he saw me improving so he gave me a shot at a 8page story of his character Nyssa with a deadline yes this mean man gave me a dam deadline hahaha but i completed it on time and whats cool i got paid for it..Mr McClain  teach me the ins and the outs of the comic business from going in this business knowing everything from networking,stay committed to your craft,watch out for bullshitters,and that drawing comics is very hard work but if you continue to do the work people will see it and take it from there..times have past me and mr mclain are the best of friends and best of  business partners all that hard work paid off which lead to my imprint DayDream productions  Guytron and my youngest brother book BatlleBlood is under the m-studioscomics banner..and just want those who screaming they wanna be in comics  must  know it is very very hard work staying home over a drawing table drawing 20 or 31 something pages to met a deadline also know this what is your Sacrifice in   becoming that amazing artist?will u give up going out with the guys?partying?being with your woman 24/7?or is your woman supportive of your career?these are things you gotta ask yourself but in order for people in this business  to take you seriously DO THE WORK!Photobucket  

No comments:

Post a Comment